New Day, New President, New Reasons to Praise

Well, its all over, lets relax for a few days. I am happy today is November 5, I'm happy McCain conceded, and I'm happy the whole thing is over.

I also am very happy to see the first black man in US history as president. In one sense, I am especially happy because its a kind of in-your-face to the racists of America (Obama escaped at least one assassination attempt already, and I know people who wanted to vote against him because he is black). I can appreciate the symbolism of this day. (Of course, I wish he didn't also happen to be the most liberal individual in our history, but what can you do? Certain other black candidates were not running.)

Okay, yeah, I'm a bit worried for reasons I already stated. Having stated them, though, its time to move along and onto better Gospel blogging, something that's been lacking here at Pisteuo. I'm going to start with some blog-spotting that I hope you'll find edifying.

1. Giving thanks “for kings” is hard when they are evil.

2. The effect we pray for is “that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly, and dignified in every way.”

3. Using our peace for radical godliness and serious action will lead to more effective evangelism and world missions.
  • Justin Taylor reminds us of the existence of Jim Crow laws only forty years ago, giving us a reason to praise God on the Obama victory. He also writes, "Barack Obama will have God-given authority to govern us, and that we should view him as a servant of God (Rom. 13:1, 4) to whom we should be subject (Rom. 13:1, 5; 1 Pet. 2:13-14)." He gives the following points, making it personal:
- We are to pray for Barack Obama (1 Tim 2:1-2)
- We are to thank God for Barack Obama (1 Tim 2:1-2)
- We are to respect Barack Obama (Rom 13:7)
- We are to honor Barack Obama (Rom 13:7; 1 Pet 2:17)
Congratulations, Senator Obama! You ran a long and strenuous campaign, and you have now won the 2008 Presidential Election. You were not my candidate of choice, and I strongly disagree with many if not most of your policies. However, you are the duly-elected next President of the United States. Therefore, I will give you the full honor and respect due your position and pray for you accordingly. At the same time I will continue to work and vote for those policies I believe are correct as is my right and duty in a representative government. I wish you all the best and will be praying for you and your family.
P.S.: Okay, one more piece of political news you may not have heard. Doug Pagitt has announced his bid for the Minnesota State Legislature. He didn't give any information as to who would take his position at his church holistic community.

Popular posts from this blog

Why Jesus Culture, Bethel Church, and Bethel's School of Supernatural Ministry are Spiritually Dangerous (Part 3 of 3)

Why Jesus Culture, Bethel Church, and Bethel's School of Supernatural Ministry are Spiritually Dangerous (Part 1 of 3)

Why Jesus Culture, Bethel Church, and Bethel's School of Supernatural Ministry are Spiritually Dangerous (Part 2 of 3)