CAVA Homeschooling this year

We've decided to homeschool our son for kindergarden this year. His older sisters are remaining in their school, but a couple of considerations made us decide to be the providers for his education (at least for this year).

We have choosen a new California program to help us do this. California Virtual Academies (CAVA) is a homeschool extension of the public school system. I'm his teacher, but I also enjoy the assistance of a teacher online as well as free materials both via the internet and standard hard-copy textbooks.

Here is my understanding thusfar:

PROs:
  • Unlike most homeschool materials, everything appears to be FREE.
  • CAVA is taking care of all the state stuff.
  • I have accountability.
  • I have access to a teacher if I need it
  • All grading and testing is handled through CAVA
  • Though there is a minimum daily time commitment, I have flexibility as to how to group the hours (morning, evening, or a little of both) and even the days of instruction (for instance, Saturdays).
  • I have neighbors who homeschool, one also starting this very program this year and another who uses Christian materials.
CONs:
  • Yet to be seen.
I'll periodically post on this program to let anyone interested know how it goes.

Popular posts from this blog

Why Jesus Culture, Bethel Church, and Bethel's School of Supernatural Ministry are Spiritually Dangerous (Part 3 of 3)

Was Rebekah a child when she married Isaac?

Why Jesus Culture, Bethel Church, and Bethel's School of Supernatural Ministry are Spiritually Dangerous (Part 2 of 3)