2009 Top Stories
I don't think I've done a post gathering top stories yet, so here we go.
Most Ridiculous Lawsuits (Courtesy of Faces of Lawsuit Abuse)
Most Ridiculous Lawsuits (Courtesy of Faces of Lawsuit Abuse)
- Woman crashes on curve, sues county claiming 10mph speed limit was inadequate warning. The fact that she was apparently loaded and doing 30 notwithstanding, I'm sure...
- Customer sues restaurant chain after toilet paper rolls from “unreasonably dangerous toilet paper dispenser” fall onto his hand. Yes, because we know how dangerous toilet paper can be when it falls onto your hand, in midair, from an inch away. Personally, I'm more concerned with blood clots in my legs from sitting too long, but maybe that's TMI.
- Illegal immigrants sue rancher who stopped them on his property at gunpoint and turned them over to the Border Patrol. Winner in my book for best line: the rancher reportedly yelled, "My dog is hungry and he's hungry for buttocks."
- Tourist sues New York club after she slipped while dancing on top of the bar
- Woman microwaves hair removal wax, spills it on herself, and sues manufacturer for "placing such dangerous products into the stream of commerce". Counter-suit of such ignorant consumers being in the stream of commerce still in the planning stages.
- Inmate sues to avoid being named world's most litigious person. Judge said man was not convincingly offended due to the unending smile and aura of glee surrounding such a perfect opportunity.
- Double-murderer sues to claim his victims' classic Chevy pickup. Sickening.
- Tourist sues hotel, claiming swimming pool got daughter pregnant. Really? Is it people like this why I was subjected to so many Polack jokes as a child? (Yes, I believe I'm allowed to say that. I think...)
- Dolphins splash, woman sues. Woman sues park for not warning people about something everyone knows - slippery when wet - asserting that nobody knows it unless there is a warning... wait a minute...
- Wife kills husband, sues for his pension's survivor benefits.
- Neighbor sues woman for smoking in her own home . The picture of them with gas masks on is icing on the cake. How about growing up in a home with two smokers?
- Holocaust denier sues Auschwitz survivor, alleging memoir contains "fantastical tales". Yikes.
Alright, now to OneNewsNow.com Year in Reviews
- National Security 2009
- Guantanamo Bay: not closed yet!
- Controversy: DHS has wrong focus and singles out people based on politics
- Fort Hood: we are still naive.
- Education 2009
- Germany continues persecutions, homeschooling family seeks asylum
- Obama's education czar promotes sexually-explicit materials in schools
- Controversy over high-school cheerleaders using Bible verses
- Legal 2009
- The ACLU and someone found a WWI memorial cross offensive.
- High court says "no" to protecting kids from porn
- Churches are tax-exempt, but not their administrative offices?
- Voters don't want same-sex marriage, but court says the ban is unconstitutional!
- Global Warming 2009
- International conference held in March to dispute global warming theory
- Again, Climategate. It ain't goin' away.
- Thankfully, Copenhagen was a failure.
- New documentary, "Not Evil Just Wrong" is an inconvenient truth for Al Gore
- Those asking Gore tough questions get their plug pulled
- Church 2009
- The Episcopal Church, USA, continues its decline by electing an openly lesbian woman to be bishop in the LA Archdiocese.
- Tooley elected pres over the Institute for Religion and Democracy, a watchdog of the religious left.
- ECLA continues its decline, members urged by conservatives to give elsewhere as a result.
- Pro-Life 2009
- There may be as many as 1,500 abortion clinics that have permanently closed their doors since 1991, with only 700 to go nationwide. Praise God!
- (Some of) said Planned Parenthood clinics once again caught on tape willfully covering-up statutory rape cases.
- And, Planned Parenthood caught on tape deliberately deceiving (i.e., violating a woman's right-to-know law) in order to sell
- Healthcare Reform 2009. This year, we saw the government ignore the majority of the American people and good fiscal sense with the forced passage of healthcare bills. 2010 may see some of the following (hopefully not!):
- High fines and jail time for those who cannot afford health coverage (the poor) or those who have the means to pay their own bills without health care (the rich). Finally, a bill that brings us all together... to bad its in the local pen.
- Increased costs to families who have healthcare.
- Increased costs to companies, possible inability of small businesses to continue sustaining employee costs under new laws.
- Tax-payer funded abortions-on-demand.
- Increased numbers of people visiting doctors and ERs for nominal issues like runny noses with no increase in current medical staff. (Translated: exponentially increasing wait times.)
- Personally, no change at all in the number of times we go to the doctor as a family; a fourfold increase in the amount we spend on medical as a family.
- The joy of knowing we have a medical coverage as great as Canada's.
- They listed their top 20 viewed stories of the year. I'll leave that to your interest. :)
- They also listed what they believed to be the top 10 stories of the year:
- Inauguration of President Barack Obama
- War in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- War in Iraq
- Healthcare debate
- Recession. I'm surprised this wasn't on other lists. Our response, including the printing of millions of new dollars, might equal a recipe for inflation and major disaster in 2010. Again, hopefully not, but either way the recession is going to continue to be on a lot of our minds throughout a good chunk of the coming year.
- Nidal Hasan, Fort Hood, and the domestic terror threat
- Honduras: Triumph of Latin American democracy. Alright!
- Creation of the ACNA (Conservative separation from Episcopal church
- U-turn for U.S. pro-life message overseas. While there has been the encouraging news of the number of abortion mill closures, this year has had some major disappointments on the life issue as President Obama has singlehandedly opened the door to countless more abortions and is strong-arming doctors and nurses to murder unborn infants.