Yeah, and me, too!



I've talked about the pragmatics of tipping in the past, but I continue to be surprised by Christians who refuse to tip the pizza guy.

You know what I mean. I pull up and get out of the car. I have to walk around various Christian-themed garden accouterments to get to the door. I try not to knock to hard so as to not knock off the ceramic cross hanging below the peephole. I smile when the door is opened - here is a brother or sister in Christ, I think - and I say, "Good afternoon! You're order was $19.71." I'm handed a twenty and told to "keep the change."

Really? Did that person expect me to pull out some kind of coin dispenser if I had not received those words? Did that person think that 29 cents covered the 12 miles round-trip of gas and general wear-and-tear on my vehicle, and moreover, make me feel (as I could be an unbeliever) warmly about the faith they proudly display on their lawn?

Makes me wonder if my breath smells.

I'm not as offended as I let on, except for the fact that I know one of my coworkers who are not Christian could be the next driver going to that house.

That's what irks me.

Thankfully, no one tried to make up for the lack of a bad tip by giving me a Gospel tract. I would see that as an open invitation to explain some things!

Unfortunately, pastors and general attenders to the Together for the Gospel conference in Louisville, KY fared low in this department - that is, they did not pay their "fare" share in their Gospel-ing (a.k.a., evangeliz-ing). DefCon reports this sad witness:

Sadly many of the boasted 7,000+ visitors “witnessed” to the city of Louisville in ways that should make them ashamed, and which should give the pastors who preached there pause to rebuke their congregations in love.

“TRACT TIPPING”

“One waitress [in Louisville at T4G] told us that one party she waited on left her a $7 tip on an $80 bill but also left one of those fake million-dollar-bill gospel tracts. Another got “Way of the Master’ed” while she served a table. She was in tears relating this to another pastor, who ministered to her more gently. I abominate whoever left the fake money tract. The lines for service were long last week, so there was a lot of sighing and eye rolling and short temperedness from Christians who forgot they were there to serve.” – Jared Wilson

Let me clue the gentle DefCon reader in on a dirty little secret that’s no secret at all in the service industry:

Christians are notoriously bad tippers!

They’re notoriously demanding.

They’re notoriously petulent.

They’re notoriously impatient.

Listen, if you can’t afford to leave a decent tip at a restaurant then don’t go out to eat! Please just stay home!

“TRACT TIPPERS” BE WARNED!

“The Outback where I waited tables in college had a corkboard in the back for people to pin up tracts they’d received as “tips”. The sign over the board read “Hallelujah! Jesus pays the bills!”

My favorite thing was the group of choir members from my own church (where I lead the worship team) would come in every Tuesday and leave tracts instead of cash, even when I was their waiter… which I tried to make sure happened each week.” – Commenter honeyandlocusts

Look, you’re not being clever or cute or pious when you “tract tip”; you’re insulting the wait staff, you’re dishonoring Christ’s Great Commission and you’re bringing disrepute upon His Name when you fold up a “million-dollar bill” tract and leave it on the table along with a couple of bucks in spare change.

The wait staff at the typical eat-in restaurant earn their living off tips. They often make very little, if anything as an hourly wage. Christians should be the most gracious, patient, kind and generous guests imaginable. Wait staff should be amazed at the marked difference between Christian and pagan patrons. Wait staff should look forward to the “church crowd” instead of dreading it, grinning and bearing it through clenched teeth, and comparing notes about their collective horrible experiences with “Christians”.

To those who are guilty of tight-fistedness, repent.

To those who are among the cheerful givers in whom the Lord delights, rejoice!

To T4G 2012 organizers, PLEASE make it a point encourage your speakers, volunteers, and attendees to walk the talk next time around.

The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered – Prov. 11:29

A stingy man is eager to get rich and is unaware that poverty awaits him – Prov. 28:22

Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” – Luke 12:15

So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver - 2 Cor. 9:7


Popular posts from this blog

RE: "Pastor Dayna Muldoon EXPOSED"

Was Rebekah a child when she married Isaac?

MacArthur: Calvinism in a Nutshell