Jesus Baptized, Part 2 | Mark 1:10–11

"10 And when he came up out of the water, 
immediately he saw the heavens being torn open 
and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 
11 And a voice came from heaven, 
‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’”

John was certainly a Baptist, for He immerses Jesus—no sprinkling would do!  Yesterday, we noted that Christ identifies with sinners in His baptism.  He himself knew no sin, so He takes the place of those as a perfect sacrifice for those who have known sin.  He is the spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world!

In the text this morning, we see Heaven’s affirmation of His work.  First, Christ witnesses the heavens split open.  The next time we read of a splitting is toward the end of Mark in chapter fifteen, where the temple curtain is torn top to bottom (15:38).  At the end of His work on the cross, God needs no more sacrifice upon the altar.

Here, a startling reality forms.  The Holy Spirit like a dove alights upon Christ, a visible sign of His empowerment for ministry (Is 61:1).  At the same time, a voice from the Father echoes for all to hear.  What we see here are all three Persons of the Trinity present as the ministry of Christ is to begin—Father, Son, and Spirit. 

Any faithful Jew present would pick up on these clues.  Psalm 2:7 says, “The Lord said to me, ‘You are my Son; today I have begotten you.’”  Isaiah 42:1 says, “Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.”

Have you considered that your salvation is sought by all three Members of the Trinity?  We must see Jesus as the Son of God, sent by the Father to pay the penalty for our sins.  We must have faith in the Son of God in Whom the Father delights if we are to ever be pleasing in His sight.  The Holy Spirit delivers these truths to our hearts and inspired His Word.  There’s unity in the Godhead over the sake of our souls.  God in three Persons, blessed Trinity! 

Popular posts from this blog

RE: "Pastor Dayna Muldoon EXPOSED"

Was Rebekah a child when she married Isaac?

MacArthur: Calvinism in a Nutshell