Saving While There’s Still Time | Psalm 6:4–7

          Turn, O LORD, deliver my life;
            save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
          For in death there is no remembrance of you;
            in Sheol who will give you praise?
          I am weary with my moaning;
            every night I flood my bed with tears;
            I drench my couch with my weeping.
          My eye wastes away because of grief;
            it grows weak because of all my foes.

David’s current state makes it appear God left Him.  In truth, God’s omnipresent, but His favor and presence aren’t always felt for those not living coram deo (in the presence of God).  David repents, desiring to be right with the Lord again, and he humbly presents his case for deliverance. 

We can empathize with the depth of David’s pain, weeping throughout the night over his situation.  Death may be near for him, but he still wants to serve the Lord.  In Psalm 30:9, we read, “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you?  Will it tell of your faithfulness?” 

We need deliverance from the Lord.  The term David uses for “life” is soul, referring to both physical and spiritual salvation.  We deliverance from our constrictive circumstances and the sinful bondage within our souls.  Man may destroy the body, but the soul’s the Lord’s to handle (cf. Mt 10:28).  Because Jesus Christ carries the sin of the guilty, He can be merciful and gracious to even you (cf. Ex 34:6–7).


There is no hope after we die.  This is why you must repent and believe today and call others to do the same.  The dead have no opportunity to proclaim God to sinners or even repent in the next.  As we read in Isaiah 38:18, “For Sheol does not thank you; death does not praise you; those who go down to the pit do not hope for your faithfulness.”  Therefore, we must do the Lord’s work “while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work” (Jn 9:4)—either the work of repenting and believing, or the work of sharing His glorious gospel.

Popular posts from this blog

RE: "Pastor Dayna Muldoon EXPOSED"

Was Rebekah a child when she married Isaac?

MacArthur: Calvinism in a Nutshell